23 November 2011

Tutorial - Red Scorpions Dreadnought in under 2 1/2 hours


As promised here's a small tutorial of the creation of this dreadnought. The fella was primed black and mounted upside down on his base.


First basecoat of Vallejo Model Air German Grey using my airbrush.



Black was airbrushed from the bottom up to add some shadows to the model



Vallejo Model Air Medium Sea Grey was used to light up the upper parts of the model.
I sprayed right from the top of the model so only the parts exposed to "direct sunlight" were lightened up.



After masking I used Vallejo Model Air Golden Brown (airbrush) / Vallejo Game Colour Leather Brown (brush) for the basecoat of the yellow.



For the first highlight I took Vallejo Model Air Dark Yellow for both the airbrush and standard brush.
Since the colour is mixed for airbrush use it isn't highly opaque and perfectly suitable for nice blendings.
I only highlighted the upper and side parts so the shadow areas will stay brown.



The next highlight is Vallejo Model Air Golden Yellow.
The upper parts received a good amount of coating but I left some dark yellow on the side areas for a nice blending effect.



The final edge highlight was made with a 50/50 mix of white and golden yellow.
PlasCan was painted from bottom to top with Vallejo Model Air Gun Metal Metalizer, Gun and Silver for the final highlight.



The weathering begins! Using GW Dark Flesh and Vallejo German Grey / Medium Sea Grey I sponged the first rust effects on the model.
I kept an eye on the most exposed areas/edges to make it as realistic as possible.


]
Using thinned down Blazing Orange, Dark flesh and watered Vallejo rust pigments I added rust on rivets, deepenings and cables.
I also sponged dry pigments on the whole model to give it a rusty shading on some areas.



Using Vallejo Model Air light blue and pure white I gave the plasma can a subtle OSL effect.
I painted several lenses in shiny blue colours, imho this is a nice contrast to the worn and rusty battle look.


Thats about it, a 100% painted up dreadnought in around 2,5 hours. I hope somebody will find this tutorial useful, thanks for taking a look!




No comments:

Post a Comment